Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Fruit of Life

going to pick grapes

Tomorrow will be my 29th birthday and for a moment in time I wanted to be 28 for another year, stalling the aging process, but really there is no point in even thinking such things.

Today after school I went with my Мика to pick grapes for вино at баба's house. Most of the work was done by the time I got there, late in the afternoon. While we were working I was trying to think about whether I preferred planting or harvesting. What I concluded is that I enjoy both aspects of farming, planting because it means new beginnings, and harvesting because you are rewarded with the fruits of your labors.

Tomorrow is a HUB day in Peace Corps lingo, which mean all thirty-six of us gather from our four language communities and have a full day of workshops. We will be in Kumanovo again, where orientation week took place. I am hoping some people can hang around afterwards and celebrate with me.

циао





first birthday gift, socks from баба
because my feet were cold

2 comments:

  1. The grape harvest sounds fun. Do they use the grapes for wine or jams, or just eat (and sell?) them as they are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For wine. The men already began the process that evening.

    ReplyDelete